What if I told you there was a simple and affordable way to solve all kinds of health problems that are bringing you down – including low energy and depression? What if this magical method cost only 20 to 40 minutes of your time a day, with no money out of pocket?
Would you be interested in hearing more? If you answered YES!! then read on. We folks here in the western world are just getting hip to a Chinese acupressure technique called Feng Fu. Don’t confuse this practice with either kung fu (a martial art) or feng shui (the art of object placement).
Feng Fu is a simple but effective way to turn your life around and get quick relief from a wide variety of everyday aches and pains. The best part is that this remedy is only a short walk to the freezer away.
Feng Fu involves icing a pressure point located in the neck at the base of the skull for 20 minutes once or twice a day.
Doctors of Chinese traditional medicine have long claimed that Feng Fu therapy rejuvenates the entire body and balances the body’s natural physiology (physical state). Acupuncture has been used as a medical science for more than 2500 years!
The Standard Acupuncture Nomenclature is published by the World Health Organization (WHO). It lists “the 361 classical acupuncture points organized according to the fourteen meridians.” Feng Fu is #325, designated as GV 16.
Although the standard English translation of Feng fu is “Wind Mansion,” the Chinese word Feng means “pathogenic wind.” Something pathogenic carries disease. The word fu means “place.” The name means, “This is a point for eliminating the pathogenic wind.” Sounds good to me!
In acupuncture therapy, Feng Fu is a Window of the Sky point. These special acupoints are vital communication points that link the mind and the rest of the body. Medical conditions in your body’s extremities might well be caused by a blockage in this center of chi (life force).
International interest in the effectiveness of acupuncture – inserting needles into the body’s acupoints – and acupressure – applying force to the body’s acupoints – has grown rapidly over the past 30 years.
There are now many acupuncture specialists, conferences, and topical publications available to people who are curious to know more about this ancient self-help therapy.
Small wonder. Just look at all the health benefits Feng Fu can bring:
- Improved sleep quality
- Better digestion
- Prevention of frequent colds
- Fewer headaches
- Reduced joint pain and toothaches
- Stronger cardiovascular system
- Relief from arthritis, hypertension, and hypotension
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Improved gastrointestinal function and thyroid disorders
- Fat buster
- Asthma relief
- Reduced menstrual issues
- Release of tension, fatigue, and depression
- Improved sense of well-being and vitality
The only hard part of this technique is finding the right pressure point. “Feng Fu is located at the base of the skull and the top of the spine. This vital area contains our brain stem, spinal column, muscles and tendons that support our heavy brains, as well as our major arteries and windpipe,” according to Power of Positivity.
- Lie down on your stomach or sit in a chair with your head leaning forward.
- Use both hands to touch the back of your neck.
- Feel the point where the bottom of your skull meets your neck.
- Find the indentation in your neck between the two neck muscles.
- If you have difficulty locating the pressure point, tilt your head back so you can feel the neck muscles better. The Feng Fu point is in the middle, between them.
Now that you’ve located the Feng Fu pressure point, you are ready for self-treatment with an ice cube (you can wrap it in cloth for easier handling), freezer pack, or a cold washcloth. It is recommended to secure the ice cube with an adhesive bandage or medical tape, a scarf or long piece of cloth – or you can press and hold the cold source with your hand.
Feng Fu is ridiculously easy. Just follow these five steps to begin changing your life for the better:
- Lie flat on your stomach or sit in a chair and make yourself comfortable.
- Place the ice cube (or cold pack/cloth) directly on the Feng Fu point on the back of your neck.
- Set a timer and leave the ice cube on the Feng Fu point for 20 minutes.
- For best results, chill your Feng Fu point twice a day: when you first get up and the last thing before you go to bed.
- Enjoy the benefits!
Some people report that they feel a strong cold sensation course through their bodies after first applying the ice. Be patient and wait for this temporary discomfort to pass within 30 to 40 seconds. Then, expect to feel your Feng Fu point heat up as it becomes activated.
During the first few days of Feng Fu treatment, you may feel euphoric (giddy or “high”). This is because your body is releasing endorphins into your bloodstream. Endorphins are a morphine-like substance that originates from inside the body.
Some therapists say you should not do Feng Fu on yourself if you are pregnant, have a pacemaker, or have been diagnosed with schizophrenia or epilepsy. When in doubt, consult with a local acupuncturist.
Feng Fu is mainly used for local problems in the human body, and also for problems occurred along the body’s meridian trace. The goal of this treatment is to counteract disease by freeing blocked energy channels.
Now that you know how easy Feng Fu is, why not give chillin’ out your neck once or twice a day a try? You might just like it.