Not everybody is a “gym rat,” and the rest of us know there are many great ways to stay in shape without ever stepping a foot in a gym. Here are Ten fun, “gym-free” ways to get in shape and stay in shape!
- Get Dancing – Someone once said, “Life may not be the party we expected, but while you are here, you may as well dance.” Same goes for keeping fit. Dance burns calories, it’s fun, it’s social, and there’s a type to appeal to everyone from African Folk to Zumba.
- Skip, Skip, Skip to the Loo – Did you know that “loo” is another way to say “John” in England? But in any case, skipping to the bathroom, or anywhere for that matter, is a great exercise for more than just kids! Skipping is a great all-over workout because it involves muscles in your legs, calves, arms, and shoulders. You can even build up your abs by pulling in your belly while skipping.
- Organize a Treasure Hunt – At 76, Harrison Ford’s Indiana Jones still looks darn good! And no wonder, it’s all that traipsing around looking for lost fortunes! OK, you may not be up for outrunning any boulders or swinging from vines, but organizing a family “treasure hunt” is a fun way to get moving. Following the clues to your secret stash can be as easy as having to walk a few blocks, or as strenuous as involving rock-climbing. There are even “Geocaching” apps that turn this into a fun GPS based digital adventure!
- Rollerblading and Ice Skating – Both are fun, social, calorie burning and gym-free workouts that are great for the calves and inner thighs.
- Paintball or Laser Tag – Enjoy “first-person” shooter videogames? Get up off the couch and have the same experience “IRL,” and a workout to boot, by playing Paintball or Laser Tag. You’ll get your heart pumping not only from the adrenalin rush of “simulated combat” but many of the playfields require significant running, jumping, and climbing.
- Team Up! – Join a team. There are probably a lot of possibilities of joining a local amateur sports team, from football to basketball. Joining a team with a weekly practice/play schedule can be more motivating than going to a gym, and it is a fun way to get some exercise, and also meet new people.
- Take a Hike! – Be that a nature hike or just a nice long walk seeing your town like a tourist, a good hike, or an extended walk can be an eye-opening, as well as a fat-burning experience
- Redecorate – Is your home in need of a makeover? Redecorating is a great way to workout. Painting, scraping, plastering, going up and down a ladder, all can improve your looks and your home’s at the same time.
- Take on the Challenge of a Mud Run or Obstacle Run – “Fun Runs” have been the rage the past few years, and there is any number you can probably find to fit your fancy. The most common are “mud runs” or “obstacle runs,” but there are themed runs featuring everything from superheroes to zombies. Either way, you can typically find yourself climbing over walls, crawling through mud and water pits, climbing under barbed wire, or even jumping over fire!
- Volunteer – Look around your neighborhood; there is probably any number of great community projects you can volunteer for that can also give you a great workout. From beach clean-ups to building a new playground for kids at the park, volunteering for a physical community project can get you feeling good inside and out!
This is only scratching the surface. The key is to have fun and get moving. Think about it, and be creative, and I’m sure you can find many more ways and places to do that outside of a gym!