There are many medical stories that seem too weird to be true. Here are 5 of the most bizarre ones culled from the news in 2018. Try not to read these over lunch.
Ovaries May Not be Your Friend
Who likes to be told they’re overweight? We may be trying very hard to shed the pounds but no amount of dieting or cardio seems to do the trick. We may even continue to gain weight.
Instead of sympathy and support, we get disparaging remarks, sometimes behind our backs. “Look at that fat pig!”
One woman was faced with recurring health problems due to her ongoing weight problem. She couldn’t even walk to her car without losing her breath. It was deeply embarrassing.
As a last resort, she decided to go to a cosmetic surgeon to discuss liposuction. He recommended she discuss the pros and cons with her doctor first.
Imagine her surprise when her doctor told her that the problem wasn’t excess blubber – it was a 50-pound cyst!
The growth had developed on her ovaries. He recommended emergency surgery and the ugly mass was removed.
Thank God for x-rays.
Fly Vomit Can Be Dangerous to Your Health
It’s terrible when someone vomits on you. But Abby Beckley had a much worse experience: A fly on a cattle ranch barfed worm larvae into her eye. And those larvae turned into worms and started crawling across her eyeball!
At first, Beckley thought she’d gotten an eyelash stuck in her eye. But when she looked in the mirror she couldn’t see one and the itching soon got worse.
That’s when she peeled her upper eyelid back with a pair of tweezers and discovered a handful of tiny squiggly things.
She rushed the hospital and told the doctors, who told her she must be on drugs. Had she recently dropped LSD? Had she experienced hallucinations before?
“Wait!” she screamed. Within a few minutes, she felt the worms again.
“Look!” she told the assembled doctors.
They nearly freaked out. Two nurses started yelling and running around the ER.
The doctors eventually found 14 different worms in her eye, some the size of half a paperclip.
It turns out the cows on the ranch Beckley was visiting had worms in their own eyes. And buzzing flies likely picked up the larvae they produce
And then spat them into Beckley’s eye.
The lesson? Kill those buzzing flies before they land on your face.
Fans of Heavy Metal should avoid MRIs
There’s a reason that hospital rooms that host the powerful MRI machine don’t include metallic objects. The machine has a tendency to suck those objects into its cylinder, and if you’re carrying one, you might get sucked in along with it.
That’s what happened to a 32-year old Indian man in Mumbai last year. A member of the hospital staff, for reasons unknown, asked the man to carry a closed canister filled with liquid oxygen into the MRI room.
The man complied and soon found himself thrown into a whirlwind. The MRI’s powerful magnetic field immediately and forcefully sucked the object in, and the man was dragged along with it.
The force of the impact ruptured the canister and the cells in the man’s central nervous system and lungs were irreversibly damaged by exposure to too much oxygen.
He died a short while later.
Oxygen is our lifeblood but like everything else, too much of a good thing can be bad for us It’s called “Oxygen Toxicity Syndrome.” Look it up.
Constipation Can Be Deadly
There’s nothing worse than having to go and wanting to go and not being able to go. That’s why we have laxatives, but in rare cases, even these don’t work.
It usually means that there’s something dreadfully wrong with your poop machine.
A 53-yar old Australian man decided to visit the ER when the nausea and pain in his bowels became excruciating.
A rectal examination revealed that he had impacted stools. Even worse, his large intestine had bloated to the point where it was pressing on his right common iliac artery – the artery that supplies blood to the right leg.
Meanwhile, that backed-up poop was impairing his kidneys. His blood was becoming dangerously acidic. Without immediate surgery, he would soon die.
Eventually, two liters of feces were removed from his bowels. He was also given gentle laxatives. It took four days before he could leave the ICU.
And it took another 9 days for him to regain the ability to walk.
What happened? No one really knows.
Did the man insert something in his rectum he shouldn’t have? He’s not telling and the doctors aren’t asking.
But his days as a freak are likely over – thankfully.
Calling All Brainiacs!
There are so many threats to our mental faculties these days. Watching the Democratic primary debates or being forced to listen to the music of Justin Bieber to cite just two noteworthy examples.
But why add to the risk by exposing yourself to contaminated tap water – and being attacked by brain-eating amoebas?
It’s happening so often now – with more than 70 cases reported since 2003 and the highest number.
One horrifying case was that of a 28-year old woman who insisted on putting unsterilized water into a Neti pot to clean out her sinuses.
The symptoms were slow to develop, a rash on her nose at first, but then a year later, she suffered a seizure.
At first, doctors thought she might have a brain tumor but a scan revealed that she was infected with an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris.
In 2016, the FDA approved a number of drugs for the treatment of parasitic infections that are commercially available.
But here’s the problem: While they’ve proven effective in the test tube, these drugs have generally failed to combat brain-eating amoebas in human patients. Nearly all cases to date have proven fatal.
I have a feeling we’re going to be reading a lot more about these cases in 2020. Stay tuned.