Sometimes good science goes bad and people get hurt. Since time immemorial, cautionary tales have been told to warn others of impending danger. Put these two together and prepare yourself for a couple of stories that are fascinating and, at the same time, rather gruesome.
- “I was pretty much engulfed in flames,” said Will Hawksworth, a 24-year-old British man who was driving when the new batteries in his vape pen exploded and set his clothes on fire.
The conflagration spread inside the vehicle as Hawksworth and his girlfriend Molly Biney (25) were heading home from the grocery store.
Sparks began to fly out of the driver’s shirt pocket and made “a noise that sounded like fireworks” before the shirt burst into flames. The battery blew up as Hawksworth pulled over:
“It burnt through my clothes and fell down the side of the car seat. I got out and took my clothes off and covered myself in snow. It was agony.”
The Audi A5 sedan was “completely burnt out,” according to the lucky survivor. Hawksworth had begun smoking cigarettes at age 15 and began vaping four years later.
Hawksworth was treated for a series of second- and third-degree burns on his torso at Northern General Hospital in Sheffield, England. The patient declined getting a skin graft and now reports that his torso skin reacts when exposed to heat by turning red and becoming irritated:
“My appearance does bother me, especially when I’m on holiday. My skin gets very aggravated when it’s hot. I can’t really expose it to the sun. It is horrible to live with now. It could have ended so much worse. I feel lucky to be alive.”
Hawksworth is seeking compensation from the e-cig (electronic cigarette) company that made the batteries which exploded:
“It felt like I was being burnt alive. It was the most painful thing you could ever imagine. My clothes burnt onto my chest and my skin was completely burnt.”
The incident scarred the British youth emotionally as well as physically. He pledged to stop playing with fire:
“I was terrified. I thought this was it and I could have lost my life. I’ll never go near a vape pen ever again. They are lethal.”
In related news, 62-year-old David Thomson was found dead in his living room in Wallasey, England, after an e-cig which “had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.”
Explosions and fires have been reported when an incompatible charging device is used. Using the wrong device charger led to a house explosion in Hampshire, England, where:
“Investigators found an ‘unbranded’ USB charger plugged into the decimated bedroom.”
Remember, smoking kills – in more ways than you realized.
- Thanks to a celebrity endorsement by Hollywood megastar Gwyneth Paltrow, vaginal steaming (or V-steaming) is trending now – for better or for worse. On the “worse” side is a Canadian woman who got burned from the questionable practice by following the screen personality’s advice.
In 2015, Paltrow shared in her newsletter that the Tikkun Holistic Spa in Santa Monica, California, offers a special service called the Mugworth V-Steam where the client sits “on what is essentially a mini-throne, and a combination of infrared and mugwort steam cleanses your uterus, et al.”
U.S. health spas have been offering V-steaming since 2010, claiming it is an ancient remedy from Korea for problem female reproductive organs. The woman positions herself, sitting or squatting, “over a steaming bowl of water infused with various herbs, such as mugwort, basil or oregano. Practitioners claim mugwort can ease menstrual cramps, symptoms of menopause and yeast infections, and even help treat infertility.”
The Canadian woman, aged 62, had been diagnosed with vaginal prolapse which happens when the pelvic organs (such as the vagina, uterus or bladder) droop or slip out of their normal place. She thought getting a V-steam would help. It didn’t.
Instead, the woman had to go to the emergency room with second-degree burns where the sun don’t shine. Rather than achieve tighter vaginal muscles and a “fresh” vagina, hospital personnel treated her cervix and vaginal membranes with an antibiotic ointment and instructed her to “wrap the area with gauze, changing the bandage twice a day.”
Complicating matters further, a scheduled surgery to treat the Canadian woman’s vaginal prolapse had to be postponed until she healed from the V-steaming.
~ ~ ~
These two tales illustrate how bad things can happen to good people. Avoid being a victim: look into new health practices for possible risks before diving in. The life you might save could be your own.